Adverbs of Frequency
Adverbs of Indefinite Frequency
|Approx||Adverb of Frequency||Example|
|100%||Always||I always go to visit my family for Christmas.|
|90%||Usually||I usually wear gloves in the winter.|
|80%||Normally/Generally||I normally finish work at five o'clock.|
|70%||Often/Frequently||We often go away at the weekend.|
|50%||Sometimes||My brother and I sometimes go camping together.|
|30%||Occasionally||My boss is occasionally late for meetings.|
|10%||Seldom||I seldom get up late.|
|5%||Hardly ever/Rarely||I rarely see my father.|
|0%||Never||I never go hunting.|
- Robert always washes his car on Sunday.
- Cathy never eats meat.
- My parents sometimes take me on holiday.
- Roger is always late.
- They are never happy.
- I am sometimes sad.
- Richard has always lived in Spain.
- We have never watched TV.
- I have never lived in China.
Adverbs of Definite Frequency
How often? = I want to know the frequency of something.
Example: How often do you watch a movie?
|Number+Times+"A"+Time Period||Time Period|
* We do not say "One time a day", we say "Once a day".* We do not say "Two times a week", we say "Twice a week".
|Every+Number+Time Period+'s'||Every+Time Period|
If something happens every second day we say "...every other day."